Don't miss out the latest news, tips & tricks
Apple devices, including iPhones, iPads, Macs, and Apple Watches, come with a plethora of features and hidden tricks that can enhance your user experience. Here are some tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Apple devices:
iPhone and iPad:
- Quick Access to Camera: On the lock screen, swipe left to quickly access the camera.
- Custom Widgets: Long-press on the home screen, then tap the “+” button to add widgets for at-a-glance information.
- Swipe Texting: When using the keyboard, you can swipe between letters to quickly type words.
- Control Centre: Swipe down from the top right (or swipe up from the bottom on older iPhones) to access the Control Centre for quick settings and shortcuts.
- Siri Shortcuts: Use the Shortcuts App to create custom voice commands and automate tasks.
- Hidden Trackpad: On devices with 3D Touch or Haptic Touch, press and hold the keyboard to turn it into a trackpad for precise cursor control.
- Magnifier: Enable the Magnifier feature in Accessibility settings to use your camera as a magnifying glass.
- Back Tap: In Accessibility settings, you can set up custom actions for double or triple-tapping the back of your device.
- Bedtime Mode: Use the Clock App’s Bedtime feature to set a sleep schedule and receive sleep-related statistics.
- Spotlight Search: Press Command + Spacebar to open Spotlight and search for files, Apps, and more.
- Desktop Stacks: Right-click on your desktop and select “Use Stacks” to automatically organise your files into neat stacks.
- Mission Control: Swipe up with three or four fingers (or press F3) to access Mission Control and see all your open windows.
- Quick Look: Select a file and press the Spacebar to preview its contents without opening an App.
- Split View: Hold the green maximise button in a window to split the screen with another App.
- Hot Corners: In System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Screen Saver > Hot Corners, you can set up shortcuts for various actions when you move your cursor to the corners of the screen.
- Multiple Desktops: Create multiple desktops for better organisation by entering Mission Control and clicking the “+” button in the top-right corner.
- Dictation: Enable dictation in System Preferences > Keyboard > Dictation and transcribe text in any App.
- Theatre Mode: Enable Theatre Mode to mute your watch and keep the screen dark during movies or events.
- Water Lock: When swimming or in wet conditions, turn the digital crown to enable Water Lock and prevent accidental screen taps.
- Custom Watch Faces: Create custom watch faces with complications to show the information you need at a glance.
- Workout Auto-Pause: In the Workout App, enable Auto-Pause to pause your workout when you stop moving.
- Walkie-Talkie: Use the Walkie-Talkie App to send quick voice messages to other Apple Watch users.
- Fall Detection: Enable Fall Detection in the Watch App for added safety.
- Siri on Apple Watch: Use Siri for quick tasks like setting reminders or sending messages by holding the digital crown.
These tips and tricks should help you get more out of your Apple devices and make your daily tasks more efficient and enjoyable. Explore your device’s settings and features to discover even more hidden gems.